Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Meals for the week of...January 18, 2010

Monday: Awesome Slow Cooker Pot Roast allrecipes.com

Tuesday: Basil-Parmesan Angel Hair Pasta

Wednesday: French Dip with Au Jus and Vegetables

Thursday: French Bread Pizza

Friday: Hamburgers and Sweet Potato Fries

I have Monday off so I thought I'd treat my hubby to a pot roast meal. He loves that sort of meal. I've tried several recipes I just haven't found one I really like yet. I did some more searching this week and found one that had rave reviews! I guess we all can also judge. The pasta on Tuesday comes from my sister. She found this recipe that is not only good tasting but also good for you! I've used this recipe to make a batch of this spaghetti on Sunday to use for my lunches during the week. It's nice and light! The left over hoagie buns from Wednesday will be perfect for the french bread pizza on Thursday. I've recently discovered sweet potato fries (even bought a massive bag from Costco) so I'm using them every chance I get, this week with hamburgers. Those of you who have a long weekend in honor of Martin Luther King Jr. Day...I hope you enjoy your extra day off!


Awesome Slow Cooker Pot Roast - allrecipes.com
2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
1 1/4 cups water
5 1/2 pounds pot roast

In a slow cooker, mix the cream of mushroom soup, dry onion soup mix, and water. Place pot roast in slow cooker and coat with soup mixture. Cook on high setting for 3-4 hours, or on low setting for 8-9 hours.

I'm going to add baby carrots and diced russet potatoes to the bottom of the slow cooker before putting the meat in. I read many reviews of this recipe and they all said it was great. The soup mixture makes a great gravy. Some people tried vegetables too and said they came out great.


Basil-Parmesan Angel Hair Pasta
1 package (16 oz.) angel hair pasta
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 can (12 oz.) fat-free evaporated milk
2/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
½ cup thinly sliced green onions
¼ cup minced fresh basil
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon garlic powder or minced garlic
¼ teaspoon pepper
Additional fresh basil
12 lemon slices (optional)

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and return to the pan. Add oil; toss to coat. Add the milk, Parmesan cheese, onions, basil, lemon peel, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat until heated through. Sprinkle with additional basil. Serve with lemon slices.

You can easily add meat to this dish by adding some rotisserie chicken or shrimp.


French Dip with Au Jus and Vegetables
1 package Hoagie style buns
Sliced roast beef from the deli
cheese (optional)
Au Jus sauce mix (found in the spice section of the grocery store with the packaged sauces/gravies)

Make Au Jus according to package directions. I usually heat the Au Jus and then warm the meat in the Au Jus before placing on the Hoagie Buns. My husband likes cheese on his so I melt the cheese in a toaster oven before adding meat to his sandwich.

Side:
1 package frozen vegetables


French Bread Pizza
Pizza sauce (or substitute spaghetti sauce)
Mozzarella cheese
Pizza toppings
Left over hoagie buns or french bread rolls

Slice hoagie buns lengthwise and top with pizza sauce, desired pizza toppings, and cheese. Bake in the oven or a toaster oven until cheese is melted.


Hamburgers and Sweet Potato Fries
Hamburger patties
Hamburger buns
Sweet Potato Fries

Cook hamburgers as desired (we buy the pre-made frozen patties from Costco and grill). Cook fries according to package directions.




2 comments:

  1. Hey Kyle, I add a can or two (depending on the size of the roast) to my crock pot when cooking a roast. It makes an awesome gravy. I have the catalina chicken in the crock pot now. (Yes, on a Saturday, its a rainy day in GA), and it smells delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you enjoy the catalina chicken! I'm looking forward to the smell of the roast on Monday. I hope it turns out well. Thanks for your advice on the roast!

    ReplyDelete