Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Meals for the week of...December 13, 2009

The meals this week should produce enough leftovers to have some for lunch. My husband is great about eating leftovers so frequently I make a large meal to start with so there is plenty for lunches too. Having the Chicken Patties on a Bun last week gave me some leftover hamburger buns so I planned a meal to use up the remaining buns.

Several of the recipes this week come from a site I follow called realmomrecipes.com. I haven't tried too many recipes from here but the handful that I have are great.

This week's meals will have you cooking some BBQ pork and then using the cooked pork again for BBQ quesadillas later in the week. I heard that Safeway has bone-in pork shoulder blade roasts on sale this week for $0.88 per pound or you can buy the boneless pork should blade roast for a little more at $1.29. They also have their shredded or chunk cheese on sale for $0.99 each (limit 3). We use lots of cheese, especially parmesan so I stock up each chance to get. If you use King Soopers they have a USDA choice Boneless Bottom Chuck Round Roast for $2.97 per pound which saves you over $1.50 with your Sooper Card.


Monday: BBQ Pork Sandwiches with Corn

Tuesday: Sesame Chicken with Veggies -
realmomkitchen.com

Wednesday: Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup

Thursday: BBQ Quesadillas and Steamed Veggies -
realmomkitchen.com

Friday: Pita Pizzas


BBQ Pork Sandwiches with Corn
1/2 cup red onion, diced
pork roast (the size doesn't really matter - depends on how much you want for leftovers but plan on using leftovers for Thursdays dinner)
1 bottle BBQ sauce (or more depending on the size of the pork or the size of the BBQ sauce bottle)
Hamburger buns
Canned Corn

Put onion in the bottom of the crock pot or slow cooker. Add pork and bottle of BBQ sauce. Depending on how much BBQ sauce you like you may want to add a little more so the pork has enough moisture and flavor. Cook on low 6-8 hours until pork is done. When cooked through shred the pork and serve on hamburger buns as sandwiches.

Sesame Chicken
I found this recipe on a blog site I follow and was a little unsure at first, but it was really easy and really good. I baked the popcorn chicken instead of deep frying. I bought my popcorn chicken at the grocery store and it was somewhat expensive in my opinion. The website this came from said that buying at Costco/Sam's is cheaper for the popcorn chicken. I'm going to try that next time. I also cooked a bag of Steamable Asian vegetables and added to the sauce with the chicken and served this over rice.

Rice - white or brown
1 1/2 to 2 pounds of frozen popcorn chicken
6 tablespoons honey
4 tablespoons sugar
Salt (to taste)
4 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoon white distilled vinegar
a sprinkle of ground black pepper
diced green onion, optional
sesame seeds, optional

Deep fry your popcorn chicken and drain on a plate lined with a paper towel or bake in the oven according to package directions. In a wok or sauce pan, combine the remaining ingredients and warm over medium heat. Bring to a boil while stirring and simmer until sauce slightly thickens. In the wok or in a serving dish coat chicken with the sauce. Serve over cooked rice and garnish with diced green and sesame seeds.


Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup
Sliced cheese
Sandwich bread
Tomato Soup

Sometimes I cook our grilled cheese using a skillet and buttering each side of the bread, but if I want a lighter and even quicker meal I will use our toaster oven to have a toasted cheese sandwich. When I make a toasted cheese sandwich I typically use the processed cheese slices as they melt more quickly and I do not butter the bread. I am sure you could use the oven instead of a toaster oven to do this as well. The biggest difference is that the bread becomes toaster and dryer instead of moist like a typical grilled cheese.


BBQ Quesadillas with Steamed Vegetables
The original recipe for this uses chicken but since I cooked the BBQ pork earlier in the week I am going to use the leftovers from that meal in place of the chicken. I am pretty sure it's going to taste very similar to the chicken. These quesadillas were great! A family member sent this recipe to me and she too found it on realmomkitchen.com.

2 Tablespoons melted butter
6 flour tortillas
shredded cheddar cheese (or whatever cheese you like)
diced red onion (can use green onion in it's place)
leftover slow cooker barbecue chicken or your own bbq chicken

Brush one side of the tortilla with melted butter. Place butter side down in frying pan. Sprinkle the entire tortilla with a light layer of cheddar cheese and sprinkle on some red onion. Cook over medium heat until under side is browned and crisp and cheese is melted. Top half the tortilla with warmed bbq chicken and fold tortilla in half, then cut in half so you have two triangles. Enjoy.


Pita Pizzas
1 package pita bread
1 jar pizza sauce
toppings for your pizza that your family will enjoy

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Make individual pizzas on pita bread as desired and cook in the oven until cheese is fully melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment